Cherry StrudelFrom mrsc543 4 years ago
- Filling: shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar shopping list
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar shopping list
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch shopping list
- 4 cups pitted, tart, fresh or frozen, thawed cherries shopping list
- 1/3 cup water 2 tsp grated lemon or orange zest shopping list
- 1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract shopping list
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice shopping list
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- Pastry: shopping list
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed if frozen shopping list
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted shopping list
- 1 Tbsp confectioners sugar shopping list
How to make it
- In a medium saucepan, mix together granulated sugar, brown sugar, and cornstarch.
- Stir in cherries, water, lemon zest and vanilla. Cook over medium heat until bubbling and thickened.
- Reduce heat to low and add allspice and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease baking sheet.
- Unfold sheets of phyllo so they lie flat.
- Stack 4 sheets on plastic wrap. Brush top sheet with 1 Tbsp melted butter. Keep remaining sheets covered with plastic wrap and damp cloth to prevent them from drying out.
- Spread half of filling along a short side to top pastry sheet.
- Starting with short side and using plastic wrap as a guide, roll up pastry, jelly roll style. Fold ends under.
- Place strudel, seam side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush with 1/2 tsp melted butter.
- Repeat with remaining phyllo, melted butter, and filling to make second strudel.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer baking sheet to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes.
- Transfer strudels to a cutting board to cool completely.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
The Cookmrsc543 North Reading, MA
The Rating7 people
Sound so good!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
Yup -- what Cuz said! :+Dchefelaine in Muskoka loved it
luv strudels this sounds awsome thanks high5momo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it