Quiche Lorraine With Caramelized Onions And LeeksFrom midgelet 5 years ago
- 1 3/4 cups diced leeks, white and light green only (from about 2 large leeks, ) shopping list
- 3/4 cup diced onion shopping list
- olive oil just enough to saute shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups flour shopping list
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 6 tablespoons butter, diced shopping list
- 4 eggs, divided shopping list
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy cream shopping list
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sour cream shopping list
- Pinch nutmeg shopping list
- Pinch pepper shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham (1/4 -inch dice; about 1/2 pound) shopping list
- 3/4 cup grated swiss cheese shopping list
How to make it
- . Heat a large sauté pan over low heat.
- Sauté the leeks and onions in the olive oil 30 to 40 minutes until caramelized, occasionally stirring.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- . Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch and one-fourth teaspoon salt.
- Cut the butter in with a pastry blender, fork or two knives until it is in very tiny bits.
- Add one egg (a fork works great for this) and mix it until a dough forms.
- (Dough can also be made in a food processor, or in in a stand mixer.)
- . On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to a 12-inch circle.
- Place the dough in a 9-inch pie plate and press to remove any air bubbles.
- Crimp the edges, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- . While the quiche shell chills, mix the heavy cream and sour cream in a medium bowl.
- Whisk in the remaining three eggs.
- Add a pinch each nutmeg, salt and pepper and combine to form a batter.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- . Remove the quiche shell from the refrigerator and spread the leek and onion mixture evenly over the base.
- Sprinkle the ham and then the cheese over the leeks and onions.
- Pour in the batter and place the quiche in the oven.
- . Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 to 30 minutes or puffed and golden
- . Remove from the oven and cool slightly on a rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
People Who Like This Dish 7
- mrsc543 North Reading, MA
- hot_it_up Columbiana, AL
- momo_55grandma Mountianview, AR
- lor Toronto, Canada
- mother_earths_moon_child Morrilton, AR
- terryr Vallejo, CA
- wynnebaer Dunnellon, Florida
- sabrinarose Saratoga, CA
- upstatevoyager Scotia, NY
- clbacon Birmingham, AL
- Show up here?Review or Bookmark it! ✔
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating6 people
What a lovely recipe for Quiche Lorraine! With the leeks and caramelized onions, ohhhhhh soooooo delicious! HIGH 5!!!lor in Toronto loved it
i luv quiche great post high5 thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Sounds delicious!!wynnebaer in Dunnellon loved it
French Group132 members
Onion Junkies100 members
Dairy Preparations8 members
101 A Cheese Place144 members
Cheese Lovers101 members
Delicious Foods39 members
International Baking67 members
Restaurant Recipes68 members
Packages Jars And Cans29 members
Brunch Bunch38 members