Pupusas - Stuffed Bread From El SalvadorFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- 4 c. masa harina shopping list
- 2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 2 tsp. baking powder ( not traditional but some recipe do include its use for lightness ) shopping list
- 4 tbsp. shortening (not liquid oil) ex: Crisco shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. warm water (approximately) as needed shopping list
- 1/2 lb. shredded muenster cheese or similar white cheese shopping list
- Garnish: shredded cabbage, carrots or coleslaw shopping list
How to make it
- Combine dry ingredients, cut shortening into dry ingredients with pastry blender; add warm water a few drops at a time and work dough with hands until manageable.
- Knead dough 15-20 times then allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Form dough into balls the size of an egg or golf ball; roll out one at a time until they are 6 inches in diameter.
- Add some of the cheese top center then put another layer of the tortilla and pat or roll flat to seal
- Some recipes, put filling in center and stretch out pupusa to enclose filling and then patted and rolled out again instead of adding a top layer.
- You can try either way
- Then place on a hot ungreased skillet (one at a time).
- Cook 2 minutes on each side until done.
- Serve with El Salvodran coleslaw ( see separate recipe post ) or plain shredded cabbage and shredded carrots , chopped parsley on top.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating9 people
Don't know about finding Mesa Harina on the mountain top, but will try it with polenta as our only other choice is to show up at your casa & share some with you dear friend ;0)
YUM, Bookmarked & 5ved.
Jo & Leejolielives in The Catskill Plateau loved it
Thanks for this recipe. I am always eager to try something new. Hope your holidays went well.tablescape in loved it
Awsome luv this post high5thanksmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Vegetarian Food Lover424 members
Spanish And Hispanic Food141 members
Dont Knock It Till You Try It74 members
Delicious Foods39 members
All Things Cheese76 members
Vegetarian Appetizers41 members
All Things Vegetarian65 members
Breads Rolls And Biscuits36 members
Packages Jars And Cans29 members
Brunch Bunch38 members