Football Philly Cheese SteaksFrom shandy 5 years ago
- 2 pounds sirloin or rib steak, well trimmed and boneless shopping list
- About 1/4 cup olive oil plus Pam spray for the griddle shopping list
- 2 (at least) Vidalia or other sweet onion, thinly sliced shopping list
- 1 large bell pepper, thinly sliced shopping list
- About 4 Chile peppers of your choice~I use 2 red jalapenos and 2 poblanos shopping list
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced shopping list
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste shopping list
- 6 soft hoagie rolls, halved shopping list
- balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1/3 lb. provolone cheese, thinly sliced (American is also delicious) shopping list
How to make it
- Slice the beef on an electric meat slicer OR: using plastic wrap, tightly roll the steak into a log shape. Put the beef into the freezer for about 45 minutes to firm up the meat. You do not want the meat completely frozen. Now use a serrated knife to 'thinly' slice the beef (as close to paper thin slices as possible). Once all the beef has been cut, refrigerate until the remaining ingredients are ready. See Photo
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy-bottomed saute pan (I use my cast iron skillet) set over low heat. Put in the onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook until nicely softened and lightly caramelized but not browned, about 20 minutes See Photo. Transfer the onions to a bowl and set aside. Add the bell peppers, chile peppers and mushrooms to the pan, season with salt and pepper, and fry on medium low heat for about 6 minutes. NOW, add the minced garlic and continue cooking until everything is soft and tender, about another 6 minutes (12 minutes total). Transfer to the bowl with the onions. Keep the onions and peppers covered and warm.
- Get the griddle warmed up on medium-high. When hot, add the oil (sometimes I add Pam spray while the griddle is cold then heat the griddle). Take your meat out of the refrigerator while the griddle is heating up so the beef can start to come to room temperature. Put half of the beef slices on hot griddle and saute about 2 minutes. Mix in half the onions and pepper mixture; set a large pan lid over all and allow to steam for several more minutes.
- You can now either put your Provolone slices over the meat while on the griddle or wait until the meat is spooned into the hoagie roll then add. The cheese will get soft and melt over the hot meat. See Photo
- The BUN: Pull out a little of the doughy insides of each hoagie roll, then drizzle with a little olive oil and a splash of balsamic vinegar (this is optional), and a pinch of salt and pepper. Put beef mixture inside each roll and finish with several slices of Provolone cheese. Serve with pride!
The Cookshandy Port Orchard, WA
The Rating6 people
Great post and 5++++++++ Lovwe these but never made them. Thanks for the recipe.valinkenmore in Malott loved it
I want one now!fishtrippin in Estelline loved it
Okay I dont want to wait for the next football game I want one of these right now!!! 5 isnt' high enough for this one for me!! but 5 forks it is!
this is a keeper!midwestguy in Chicago loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!