Tarte TatinFrom bondc 7 years ago
- Pastry: shopping list
- 1 1/2 c. flour shopping list
- 6 T. confectioner's sugar shopping list
- 1/2 t. salt shopping list
- 10 T. cold butter, cut into small pieces shopping list
- 1 egg, beaten shopping list
- 1/2 t. vanilla extract shopping list
- Tart: shopping list
- 8 tart apples (Jonathans or Granny Smiths) shopping list
- 3/4 c. (12 T.) butter shopping list
- 1 c. sugar shopping list
- melted butter shopping list
- sugar shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- First, make the pastry. Mix the dry ingredients, then cut in the butter until it looks like coarse meal. Add the egg and extract, and mix just until it holds together. Turn out onto the counter and knead just until it is workable. Wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Make the tart. Core and peel apples and cut into wedges (sixths or eighths). Melt the butter in a skillet and mix in the sugar. Layer the apples on top, place over medium-high heat and cook without stirring until the juices begin to caramelize on the bottom, about 15 minutes or so. Place in the oven, and bake until the top of the apples begins to brown. Remove.
- Roll the pastry into a 12-inch circle and lay over the top of the apples, tucking the pastry down the edge behind the apples. Brush with melted butter, then sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the pastry is golden. Let sit for 15 minutes (but no longer) then turn out onto a plate and serve.