The Hidalgos Spanish OmeletFrom elgourmand 7 years ago
- • 2 – 3 good russet potatoes (depending on size), scrub well, do not peel. shopping list
- • 2 Tbs olive oil shopping list
- • 1 Tsp butter shopping list
- • salt & fresh ground pepper to taste shopping list
- • 4 – 5 eggs (depending on size) shopping list
- • 2 slices smoked bacon (chopped) shopping list
- • 1 small mild chile, seeded & chopped (Poblano or any mild chile will do) shopping list
- • ½ med mild yellow onion, chopped. shopping list
- • 1 small clove garlic, chopped (optional) shopping list
- • 6 – 8 Escargot, sliced (optional) shopping list
- • A dab or two of cream cheese or sour cream (optional). shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Scrub potatoes and cut into small, ¼ in cubes.
- 2. Put olive oil in a 12” skillet and make hot.
- 3. Add the potatoes, bacon, chile, onion & garlic to the pan and stir until all ingredients are mixed. Salt & pepper to taste.
- 4. Reduce heat and cover pan.
- 5. Stir & check every 5 min until potatoes are almost cooked then leave lid off and increase heat to lightly brown the potatoes.
- 6. When potatoes are done put on a paper towel to drain and return the pan to the stove with the burner as low as it will go & add butter.
- 7. In a large bowl beat your eggs until just frothing and add your potato, onion, bacon, etc. mix and fold in.
- 8. Then gently pour into the hot pan, distribute evenly (here’s where you sprinkle on the escargot if you like) and cook covered until done.
- 9. Peak at your omelet every five to seven minutes and turn off the stove when it’s done; leave set in the pan for a few minutes, then cut in half & serve.
- You can put a dollop of cream cheese or sour cream on the omelet if you like and one or two halved baked tomatoes go really well with this dish. The Hidalgo thanks you But his hat is too Jewish so he's a Jewish, Spanish Hidalgo, a Sephardim; funny he likes the bacon.