Banana Chiffon CakeFrom krumkake 7 years ago
- 2 cups flour shopping list
- 1½ cups white sugar shopping list
- 1 tablespoon baking powder shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 large, ripe banana shopping list
- ½ cup vegetable oil shopping list
- 7 large eggs, whites and yolks separated shopping list
- 1 tsp vanilla extract shopping list
- ½ teaspoon almond extract shopping list
- ¾ cup cold water shopping list
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar shopping list
How to make it
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash the banana.
- Add oil, egg yolks, vanilla and almond extracts, and the cold water. Add the oil mixture to the flour mixture, and whisk batter until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter just until combined – it is important not to over-mix at this step.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10” angel food cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Invert pan over counter (if your angel food pan does not have “legs” around the top rim to hold the cake off the counter when inverted, then invert the pan onto a sturdy bottle neck).
- Allow cake to cool completely in this upside down position.
- When cool, turn the pan right side up again and run a sharp, thin knife or spatula around the edges to release the cake from the pan. Turn cake out onto a platter; frost or simply dust with powdered sugar. My mother used a browned butter frosting and the flavor was a perfect match.
People Who Like This Dish 14
The Cookkrumkake Chicago Suburbs, IL
The Rating2 people
Thanks, Krumcake! This is another winner. Is the glaze or frosting you used in the photograph the same as the recipe that's your "banana muffin" recipe? Thanks again for another great recipe!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
I'm making this today I had to come back to see the recipe and look forward to having this with the family for dessert!annieamie in Los Angeles loved it
Oh my goodness, I love the way this one looks. Sounds fabulous!bluewaterandsand in GAFFNEY loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!