Caribbean ChickenFrom choclytcandy 6 years ago
- Jamaica Jerk Spice: shopping list
- 3 tbs vinegar shopping list
- 2 scallions/spring onions, chopped finely shopping list
- 1 chili, seeded and chopped finely shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed shopping list
- 1-2 tsp paprika shopping list
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice shopping list
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg shopping list
- 1 tbs thyme, chopped shopping list
- a few drops of Tabasco or similar sauce shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
- Caribbean Chicken: shopping list
- 6-8 chicken pieces, skinned shopping list
- 2 tbs jamaican jerk spice mixture shopping list
- 1 cup coconut milk shopping list
- 1/2 cup rum shopping list
- 4 bananas, sliced shopping list
- 1 tsp poppy seeds shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into long strips shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into long strips shopping list
- 2 scallions/spring onions, sliced finely shopping list
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced finely shopping list
- 1 tbs chives, chopped shopping list
- 1 mango, cut into thin slices shopping list
- some melon, scopped into 8-10 balls shopping list
- 1/4 lb grapes shopping list
- 1 tbs cashew nuts shopping list
- 1 tbs coconut flakes shopping list
- 1 tbs butter shopping list
- oil shopping list
- salt shopping list
How to make it
- Jamaica Jerk Spice:
- Place all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well.
- Use as a marinade or brush meat with it before a barbecue. It can also be used to baste with during cooking.
- Caribbean Chicken:
- To make the marinade, mix the jerk spice with the coconut milk and half of the rum. Then add the chicken and rub the marinade in so that it absorbs the flavors. Set aside for 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees, 20 minutes before the 2 hour marinade time is up.
- Place the sliced bananas into a baking dish and sprinkle with poppy seeds and cinnamon. Dot the butter on top and pour in the remaining rum Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- When chicken is ready. Pour off the marinade and save for later use.
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet and gently fry the marinated chicken pieces for 5-10 minutes, turning so that they are beginning to turn golden on all sides. Remove the chicken and when cool enough, slice the meat into long thin strips.
- Now, using a wok, heat up some more oil and briskly stir-fry the green and red bell pepper strips, the scallions/spring onions, mushrooms, and chives. Cook for 3-4 minutes and then add the chicken strips, stirring all the time.
- Next put in the mango slices, melon balls, and the grapes. Mix these in before adding the cashews and coconut flakes. Stir constantly. Pour in the retained marinade and stir it in.
- At this point, remove the bananas from the oven and stir them and any juice from the baking dish into the wok mixture.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes and then serve, accompanied by rice.
People Who Like This Dish 8
The Cookchoclytcandy IN
The Rating7 people
Great recipe! Sounds a little complicated but worth it I'm sure :)jett2whit in Union City loved it
Oh my Goodness! If you're cookin', I'll be right over!dynie in Marietta loved it
a lot of ingredients, but sounds very good. great! 5 forks^_^jegski in Aljubail loved it
Cookbook Reviews149 members
Anything Goes287 members
Ethnic Family Traditions Our Heritage Together135 members
Con Sabor Caribe Y Latino61 members
Cooking With Booze79 members
Cookin With Chicken65 members
I Love Bananas39 members
Addicted To Recipes38 members
AllRecipes Members96 members