Lentil Vegetable SoupFrom midgelet 4 years ago
- 1 lb package lentils shopping list
- 12 cups water or beef or chicken stock shopping list
- 3 large tomatoes diced shopping list
- 4 large carrots chopped shopping list
- 1 large bunch of scallions green and white parts chopped shopping list
- 1 large garlic clove chopped shopping list
- 2 Tbs olive oil shopping list
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms coarse chopped shopping list
- 2 Tbs fresh chopped flat leaved parsley shopping list
- 1 to 2 tsp dried rosemary or to taste shopping list
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup vermouth ( could be sherry ) to taste shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Soak lentils in water for 1/2 hour then rinse and drain well.
- In a large soup pot heat oil and cook tomatoes, scallions, carrots, and garlic to soften vegetables,
- Add lentils, dried mushrooms, rosemary and water ( or stock ) and bring mixture to a boil,
- Cover and simmer over an hour until lentils are tender.
- Add the chopped parsley , salt and pepper and vermouth to taste.
- Serves 12 .
- Soup freezes well.
- Note: cooking tip: when using dried mushrooms crumble them in by hand if possible or chop with a knife. I
- No need to reconstitute with soaking since the cut up mushrooms softly nicely in the simmering soup.
The Cookmidgelet Eastern, USA
The Rating4 people
Oh, vermouth in lentil soup?! What a great idea! Can't wait to try this!misslizzi in Philadelphia loved it
High 5!!cuzpat in Sikeston loved it
I have lentils i need to use and it's been quite chilly here, soup rocks! thanks!foodinnewengland in Claremont loved it
Food Styling And Photography254 members
FRESH HERB NUT31 members
Soup Is Good Food59 members
Cooking With Booze79 members
I Love SOUP97 members
Stovetop Cooking12 members
Consume Those Beans78 members
Soups And Stews106 members
FABULOUS FRUGAL FOODIES248 members