Irish Soda BreadFrom emsiyzarc 3 years ago
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease a large cookie sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and the 1/2 cup softened butter.
- Stir in one cup of the buttermilk and the egg.
- Put dough on a clean, flat surface that has been lightly dusted with flour. Work the dough with your hands for a minute or two, flattening the dough then folding it over and pressing it down again with the heel of your hand (12 to 14 turns will do).
- After working the dough, form it into a circle about 6 inches in diameter and 2 or 2 1/2 inches high and place on prepared baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup melted butter with the remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk.
- Brush the top and sides of the loaf with the buttermilk-butter mixture.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' in the top of the loaf.
- Bake 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture whild it bakes.
- Serves 4-6.