Bananas (Im)Foster Bread PuddingFrom keni 6 years ago
- 6 cups day old angel food cake, croissant or similar sweet roll or bread, cubed(this is about 1/2 an angel food cake, which is what I used :) shopping list
- 2 cups brown sugar shopping list
- 1 stick butter(no substitute) shopping list
- 2 cups heavy(whipping) cream shopping list
- 2t real vanilla extract or rum extract shopping list
- 1t salt shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 5 baby bananas(or 2 large or 3 medium), ripe, but not overly ripe shopping list
How to make it
- Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium low heat.
- Add brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts. See Photo
- Stir in cream, vanilla and salt and cook until mixture begins to boil. See Photo
- Boil 1 minute then remove from heat and let cool, slightly. You want it cool enough to touch but not cold, so don't over cool, either.(you just don't want to cook your eggs, they come next! :)
- Add eggs all at once and whisk into caramel mixture. If mixture was too hot and you get lil egg bits, don't worry, just strain it through a mesh strainer before continuing to next step.
- Place cake/bread pieces in large glass bowl.
- Pour caramel mixture over bread pieces and carefully toss/fold, to coat all pieces with caramel. See Photo
- Let cool at least an hour.(up to 3 but don't refrigerate)
- Slice baby bananas once, lengthwise. Or, cut larger bananas in half, then cut each of those pieces, lengthwise. See Photo
- Spread half the cake pieces in bottom of 5" or 6" souffle or similar dish.
- Top with banana pieces then with remaining cake. See Photo
- Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until pudding has set up and top is lightly golden brown.
- *if desired, you can bake this in a water bath like many bread puddings are traditionally done, and, you can also toss the whole thing under the broiler to caramelize the top layer of cake. See Photo