The Best Macaroni & Cheese - From ScratchFrom markeverett 6 years ago
- 1 lb. pasta (your choice, but I like rotini) shopping list
- 1 large onion - diced shopping list
- 1 lb. mushrooms - diced shopping list
- 1 Tbsp. butter shopping list
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry white wine shopping list
- 2 tsp. garlic powder shopping list
- salt/pepper to taste shopping list
- 4 Tbsp. butter shopping list
- 1/3 cup flour shopping list
- 3 cups whole milk (don't try to make this low-fat or low-calorie, just enjoy as is!) shopping list
- 2 bay leaves shopping list
- 1 bouquet garnish (I use a Japanese bag, pre-made but you can make your own) shopping list
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. cayenne pepper shopping list
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar - shredded shopping list
- 8 oz. swiss - shredded shopping list
- 8 oz. reggiano - shredded shopping list
- 8 oz. gouda - shredded shopping list
- 1/2 cup sour cream shopping list
- 1 -2 cups crushed cheese crackers shopping list
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese shopping list
- 2 - 3 Tbsp. olive oil shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over a medium heat.
- Cook onions until soft but not brown.
- Add mushrooms and garlic powder. Cook until the moisture released.
- Add white wine, Worcestershire, salt and Pepper.
- Cook until liquid is all evaporated and absorbed. Set pan aside
- Boil your selected pasta about 2 minutes less that the package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking.
- Boil the milk (I use the microwave) with the bay leave and bouquet garnish. Set aside to steep (about 20 minutes).
- In a large pan melt remaining butter. Add flour and cook about 2 -3 minutes to get rid of the "raw flour" taste but not browned, stirring constantly. Add cayenne pepper. Slowly whisk in milk (having removed the herbs) until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Add cheeses a small amount at a time until all is melted in.
- Add sour cream.
- Toss in the onion/mushroom mixture and last, add the cooked pasta and stir together completely.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Transfer to a 9 X 13 glass/crockery baking dish.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix cracker crumbs and parmesan cheese. Drizzle with olive oil until just coated.
- Sprinkle over the pasta and bake for 50 - 55 minutes until bubbly. Let coast for 10-15 minutes before serving.
People Who Like This Dish 40
The Cookmarkeverett Riverside, CA
- Not added to any groups yet!