Giada's Chicken StewFrom nativeprincess 6 years ago
- 2 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 2 stalks celery, cut into bite sized pieces shopping list
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into bite sized pieces shopping list
- 1 small onion, chopped shopping list
- salt & freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1 (14 1/2 oz) can chopped tomatoes shopping list
- 1 (14 oz can) low sodium chicken broth (I use veg broth) shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces shopping list
- 1 tbsp tomato paste shopping list
- 1 bay leaf shopping list
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves shopping list
- 2 chicken breast with ribs (about 1 1/2 lbs) shopping list
- 1 (15 oz can kidney beans) drained shopping list
- Serving suggestion: crusty bread shopping list
- (NOTE: I like to top soup with a little parmesean) shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the oil in a heavy 5 1/2 qt saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, carrot & onion. Saute the vegetables until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt & pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, chicken broth, basil, tomato paste, bay leaf & thyme. Add the chicken breasts; press to submerge.
- Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently uncovered until the chicken is almost cooked through, turning the chicken breasts over and stirring the mixture occasionally, about 25 minutes. (NOTE: I cook my chicken a little longer) Using tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a work surface and cool for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Add the kidney beans to the pot and simmer until the liquid is reduced into a stew consistency, about 10 minutes.
- Discard the skin & bones fron the chicken breasts. Cut into bite size pieces. Return the chicken to the stew. Bring the stew to just a simmer. Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
- Ladel the stew into serving bowls, top with parmesean and serve with the bread.