Cinnamon Candied YamsFrom dennydca 5 years ago
- 3 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut up shopping list
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups red-hot candies shopping list
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups water shopping list
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract shopping list
- 1 (10 ounce) package marshmallows (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- Peel and chop the sweet potatoes into 2 1/2-inch pieces (no need for perfect dice).
- Do NOT boil the sweet potatoes or they will not have a good texture.
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Place the sweet potatoes into a large buttered casserole dish or glass baking dish.
- Place pats of butter or margarine on top of the sweet potatoes.
- Pour the candies in around the sweet potatoes, then sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- Mix water and vanilla extract, and pour over the top.
- Bake for about 1 hour 20 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are just tender, stirring halfway through.
- The candies should be melted and the yams will be a deep red-orange color.
- Top the yams with marshmallows if desired, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Place a cookie sheet on the rack below the yams to cactch any drips from the melting marshmallows.