Savory Bread PuddingFrom keni 5 years ago
- 1lb day old bread torn into large pieces or dinner rolls(leave out overnight or all day, if desired) shopping list
- 1lb fresh asparagus, trimmed shopping list
- 12oz fresh mushrooms, sliced shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- 1 medium onion, diced shopping list
- 2 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 3 eggs shopping list
- 1 cup chicken stock shopping list
- 1 cup half and half shopping list
- 2t fresh sage leaves, rubbed and minced shopping list
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or rosemary or tarragon shopping list
- kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan, grated shopping list
How to make it
- Layer bread/rolls in bottom of 9X13 casserole dish.
- In medium, heavy skillet(I used cast iron) cook onions and garlic in butter until onions just begin to become translucent.
- Add asparagus and mushrooms and toss to coat with butter.
- Add herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook about 5 minutes, just to start to cook.
- Remove from heat.
- In large bowl, beat eggs well.
- Mix in stock, half and half and a lil more salt and pepper.
- Pour asparagus mixture over bread.
- Pour egg/half and half mixture over asparagus mixture. It will go to the bottom, but don't worry... the bread will soak it up.
- Let rest about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 or about 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake another 5 minutes or so, just to melt cheese. (don't stick it under the broiler for 2 minutes, though... cus you might end up with a black spot on the bread, much like the one in the photo, above...;)