Roast Chicken With Meyer Lemon And SageFrom pleclare 3 years ago
- 1 3-1/2 lb. chicken shopping list
- salt and pepper shopping list
- 6 fresh sage leaves(or tarragon,rosemary or basil) shopping list
- 2 large Meyer lemons,cut in 1/4" slices shopping list
- 8 TB unsalted butter at room temp.,divided shopping list
- 1/3 c roughly chopped carrots and onions shopping list
- For deglazing: shopping list
- 1-2 TB minced shallot or scallion shopping list
- 1/3 c dry vermouth or dry white wine shopping list
- 1/3 c chicken stock shopping list
- 1 TB unsalted butter(optional shopping list
How to make it
- Put chicken on counter for 30 mins. ahead of prep.
- Place oven rack in lower level of oven and preheat to 425'
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Tuck wings against breast where they will be held in place by rack.
- Cut 6 TBS butter into small pieces. With hand,gently create space between skin and meat on breast and leg.Be careful not to tear. Evenly distribute butter beneath skin.
- Take 6 lemon slices and slide underneath skin evenly on top of breast and leg meat,giving slight squeeze.
- Evenly distribute sage leaves underneath the skin as well. Take remaining 2 TBs butter and gently rub it all over outside skin of chicken. Salt and pepper the outside of the chicken and inside the cavity,giving the slices a slight squeeze as you place inside.
- Tie drumsticks together with twine. Place chicken, breast up,on rack in roasting pan.Squeeze juice of remaining lemon pieces all over top of chicken.Place chicken in oven and after 15 mins,lower temp. to 350'
- Check every 15 mins or so and when you see it beginning to brown quickly on top, baste with pan juices. If no liquid in bottom of pan,add 1/2 c water or chicken stock.
- After 30 mins has passed,place onions and carrots into pan and continue cooking.
- Roast chicken for an hour,basting several times. The chicken will be done when juices run clear and leg joint can be easily moved if wiggled. Thermometer should read 180'. Depending on the size of the chicke,this should take 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove chicken and deglaze pan with deglazing ingredients...