Breakfast Berry Bread Bu.. Errr PuddingFrom keni 5 years ago
- 1/2lb bread cubes(I used a breakfast toasting oatmeal bread, but you can use a sweeter bread, or a rustic baguette, and day old is fine, even preferred :) shopping list
- 2 cups heavy cream shopping list
- 1 cup honey, divided shopping list
- 1-2 eggs(I say 1-2 because I INTENDED to use one. I don't like bread pudding overly eggy...however, when I cracked it, it was a double yoker(you never can be sure!), so, I will leave this to your choice...1 or 2 should work) shopping list
- 1T vanilla extract, divided shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups fresh mixed berries ie strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc) shopping list
- juice from 2 lemons shopping list
- 3T butter, melted shopping list
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds or pecan pieces* shopping list
- raw, brown or vanilla sugar(vanilla extract And vanilla sugar) shopping list
How to make it
- In large glass bowl, combine cream, 1/2 cup honey, egg(s) and 1 1/2t vanilla and mix well.
- Add bread cubes and toss to combine and soak the bread. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in small sauce pan, heat berries, 1/2 cup honey, lemon juice and 1 1/2t vanilla over medium heat.
- Stir and "mash" berries, often, to break them up and render their juices.
- Bring to a boil and continue to heat to thicken slightly and make sure the berries are all opened. Turn off heat and let cool slightly.
- Spread half of the bread mixture on bottom of 9X13 pan(or, you can use souffle pans or even individual ramekins), add half of the fruit mixture and sprinkle with a bit of raw sugar and nuts
- Repeat with another layer of each.
- Bake at 350 for about 45-55 minutes, or until bubbly and done through.
- Serve warm
- * I used slivered almonds in this because I had them, but they aren't our favorite.... they were good, but I would use pecans next time :)