Open Faced Sandwich PrimavaraFrom keni 5 years ago
- 1 rectangular loaf focaccia loaf shopping list
- 1/2lb fresh asparagus spears, trimmed shopping list
- 1 small zucchini, sliced shopping list
- 1 large shallot, sliced in rings shopping list
- 2T olive oil shopping list
- 2t balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1 clove garlic, minced shopping list
- 1t dried oregano shopping list
- 1/2t dried basil shopping list
- kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh spinach shopping list
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper or sun dried tomato tapenade or pesto shopping list
- 4oz flavored Havarti cheese, sliced(I used jalapeno, but dill would be great, too) shopping list
How to make it
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, Oregano, basil, salt and pepper in medium sized glass bowl.
- Add asparagus, zucchini and shallot and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Slice bread horizontally and cut one side into 4 equal portions, OR, use half a loaf, then cut that horizontally, and make 2 portions from the top and 2 portions from the bottom half.
- Place veggies in small, heavy, oven safe skillet(cast iron, if possible) in a single layer.
- Roast at 450 for about 7-10 minutes to cook veggies to a tender state and shallots will be slightly caramelized.
- At same time, toss bread in the oven, just on the rack, and let toast slightly(less than 5 minutes, probably)
- When bread is toasted and veggies are finishing, spread a couple T of pesto over cut side of each piece of bread and top with a few leaves of spinach.
- When veggies are done, layer them over the pesto and top sliced cheese.
- Lower oven temp to 400 and return to the oven just until cheese is melted.