Eggplant RollatiniFrom pleclare 5 years ago
- 2 whole eggplant,peeled and sliced lengthwise,about 1/4" thick,to get about 12 slices shopping list
- 2 c fresh ricotta cheese shopping list
- 1-1-1/2 lb. piece fresh mozzarella(1/2 c to be shredded,the rest sliced) shopping list
- 3 TB parmesan cheese (plus some for sprinkling) shopping list
- 1/2 lb prosciutto or ham shopping list
- 1 egg white shopping list
- 2-3 c prepared tomato sauce,homemade or bought shopping list
- 1 loaf Italian bread,for serving shopping list
How to make it
- 1 In large skillet,fry eggplant slices in oil till it if flexible for rolling,about 3 mins per side. Eggplant can be roasted in the oven. Brush slices with oil and put on baking sheet. Roast at 400' for 20 mins,flipping halfway through.
- 2While eggplant is frying/baking,make filling: In large bowl,combine 2 c ricotta,3 TB Parmesan,1/2 c mozzarella,1 egg white,salt and pepper;mix well.
- 3 Drain eggplant on paper towel if fried. When cooled about 10 mins,begin rolling. On each slice,put about 2 TBS ricotta mixture. Spread on eggplant. Next,place a slice of ham/prsciuto on top of the cheese and roll. Repeat with all eggplant.
- 4 Coat bottom of deep baking dish with sauce. Start placing rolled eggplant at bottom of pan. When pan is filled,put some sauce on top of eggplant. Sprinkle more grated cheese on top. Cut slices of mozzarella to place on top of each rollatini.
- 5 Bake at 400' for about 20 mins. (If eggplant was baked,30 mins is better) The cheese should be melted and a little bubbling going on. Serve