Cast Iron Vidalias And TatersFrom keni 3 years ago
- 3-4 large russet potatoes, sliced no more than 1/4 inch(I don't peel) shopping list
- 2 Vidalias, sliced thin(I sliced thinner than the potatoes) shopping list
- 6T butter shopping list
- 1 cup veggie stock(can use chicken or even beef, if desired) shopping list
- hot sauce or cayenne pepper shopping list
- kosher or sea salt and fresh ground pepper shopping list
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Brush melted butter or olive oil over inside of 12 or 14 inch cast iron skillet.(even if it's well seasoned, do this! :)
- Add a layer of taters to the bottom, then onions on top of that.
- Sprinkle with cayenne or hot sauce, and a lil salt and pepper.
- Add a few pats of butter.
- Repeat with remaining taters and onions.
- Drizzle stock over entire dish.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cover with appropriate lid and cook on hot grill or fire over high heat for about 30 minutes, depending on temperature See Photo. Ours cooked for 30 minutes at about 425 on the charcoal grill!
- Be VERY careful when removing this from the fire or grill, but it can easily be taken off the heat and left up to 20-30 minutes while grilling rest of meal(we did steaks, so didn't take long, at all), if needed, as long as you keep it covered...these suckers stay HOT!