Spanish Chorizo Gnocchi SauceFrom elgourmand 3 years ago
- • 2 cans chopped tomatoes with juice. shopping list
- • 1 Large bell pepper, roasted and peeled or 1/2 cup of 15ks of Bad Road Peppers or a jar of roasted peppers ± to taste. shopping list
- • 4 Tbs tomato paste ± to taste. shopping list
- • 6 – 8 fresh mushrooms, depending on size, sliced. I use Portobello cause that’s what we usually get but whatever. shopping list
- • 3-4 tablespoons olive oil, depending on what pepper option you use. shopping list
- • 1 cup Spanish Chorizo, to taste. This is not actually a meat dish but the meat or sausage is for flavour. Some sausage just has more flavor than the next batch so adjust. shopping list
- • 1 cup chopped onion ± to taste. shopping list
- • 4 cloves garlic, chopped, ± depending on how fresh your garlic is. shopping list
- • 1/2 cup sliced pitted kalamata olives. I used to use ripe olives and they work but the Kalamata give a nicer flavour. shopping list
- • 2 Tbs red wine, to taste. Don’t overdo this. shopping list
- • 8 ounces baby spinach leaves, washed and dried, chopped. shopping list
- • 1/2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped. You can sub dried for this and the parsley but I’m not sure how much to use. shopping list
- • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped parsley. shopping list
- • 1tsp dried oregano. shopping list
- • Cooked gnocchi. Never weighed this but about as much as the Jimmy’s gnocchi recipe makes. I reckon it’s abut 2lbs (1kg). shopping list
- • salt & fresh ground pepper to taste. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. In a suitable pot or pan heat the oil and cook the Chorizo until just starting to brown. See Photo
- 2. Add the onions & garlic and Sauté until the onions turn translucent.
- 3. Add the spinach and cook another couple of minutes. See Photo
- 4. Add everything else and bring to a slow simmer.
- 5. Cover & simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 30 minutes. You may want to add a bit of water if the sauce gets too thick.
- 6. Add the gnocchi, homemade or store bought, and fold together.
- 7. Continue cooking, folding occasionally, until the gnocchi are heated through.
- 8. Serve soonest. See Photo
- A fresh green salad is a must with this dish. The usual sprinkling of good Parmesan cheese and a garnish of a sprig or two of parsley go well. See Photo