Italian Wedding SoupFrom DetroitTokyo 1 year ago
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped shopping list
- 1 leek, well cleaned & trimmed - white and green parts only - cut in half & sliced shopping list
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 average size head broccoli) shopping list
- 4 cloves garlic, minced shopping list
- 1/2 pound/6 cups packed curly kale, roughly chopped shopping list
- Parmesan rinds if you have them shopping list
- 10 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1/2 cup white wine shopping list
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme shopping list
- 2/3 tsp salt shopping list
- 1/3 tsp black pepper shopping list
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste shopping list
- 1 cup small pasta (I used stars but orzo or Acini di pepe work well) shopping list
- 1/2 batch meatballs.html">Lemon Herb Turkey meatballs (mini version) shopping list
- 1 tbsp lemon juice shopping list
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley shopping list
- grated or shaved parmesan cheese shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over low-medium heat. Add fennel and saute for 10-12 minutes until beginning to caramelize, stirring occasionally. Add leeks and continue to saute for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broccoli, kale and Parmesan rinds (if you have them). Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until broccoli starts to turn bright green. Add minced garlic to the pot; season with salt, pepper & red pepper and cook stirring for 2-3 min. Pour in chicken stock to cover and add thyme. Bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes but up to 1 1/2 hours. Remove thyme branches and Parmesan rinds.
- About ten minutes before ready to serve, brown meatballs in about 1/2 tbsp each canola oil and butter for about 5 minutes. Add to soup pot and cook for an additional 6-8 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, it should take about 5 minutes.
- Remove soup from heat and stir in lemon juice. Serve with a couple of spoonfuls of pasta and top with parsley and Parmesan.
- *Note: Serves 8 1 1/2 cup entree portions or 12 1 cup appetizer portions.
People Who Like This Dish 12
The CookDetroitTokyo Detroit, MI
- Not added to any groups yet!