Yemenite Chicken SoupFrom DetroitTokyo 3 years ago
- 3 pounds chicken parts with bones and skin (drumsticks, thighs) shopping list
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed shopping list
- 2 medium tomatoes, cubed shopping list
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled shopping list
- 2 spring onions, sliced into 1-inch pieces shopping list
- 1 tsp ground cardamon shopping list
- 1 tbsp hawaij spice blend* shopping list
- 1 tsp turmeric shopping list
- salt to taste shopping list
- *Hawaij (a.k.a. Hawayej or Hawayij) is a Yemenite spice blend primarily used in soups. Ingredients may include: cumin, black pepper, turmeric, cardamom, ground cloves, caraway, nutmeg, saffron, coriander and ground dried onions. shopping list
- Another blend of the same name is used in coffee and tea. shopping list
How to make it
- Combine all ingredients in pressure cooker. Top with water. Secure lid.
- Bring to pressure and cook on high for 45 minutes.
- Let the pressure cooker sit for 5 minutes. Carefully carry the cooker to the sink and run very cold water onto the top to bring the pressure down. You'll hear the valve make a big sigh. When it's safe to remove the lid, lift it off.
- Be careful b/c the bones are tender from the pressure cooking. Try to pick them out as serving.