Steak TartareFrom elgourmand 11 months ago
- Ingredients: shopping list
- For the steak Tartar: shopping list
- 1 lb of the BEST steak you can get; the less fat and connective tissue the better. shopping list
- A dash of worcestershire sauce, to taste. shopping list
- A dab of anchovy, Optional & adjust salt. shopping list
- A wee squeeze of lemon, to taste, optional. shopping list
- salt & FGP to taste. shopping list
- On the side: shopping list
- red onion, chopped fine. shopping list
- 1 egg yolk per serving. Optional but just goes with. shopping list
- capers shopping list
- toast points or maybe tortilla chips. shopping list
- sweet gherkins, chopped fine. shopping list
- Tabasco or other hot sauce. shopping list
- Chopped hardboiled egg. Didn’t know this was on but found it in Chicago and it works, a bit. Got to be mushy. shopping list
- A thimble of olive oil, just in case. shopping list
- Chopped parsley or cilantro. shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Trim all the fat and connective tissue off the steak.
- 2. Slice the steak into thin strips.
- 3. Cross cut the strips to get tiny pieces.
- 4. Add the Worcestershire Sauce, anchovy, lemon, salt & FGP; if you’re using these.
- 5. Mix well.
- 6. You should keep this in the fridge while you prep your side stuff.
- 7. Prep all the side stuff.
- 8. Lay it out the way you like it and serve.
- I personally put the egg yolk in a depression in the steak tartar but this can be done as a side thing, using half the eggshell. Some people have a problem with raw egg.
- I usually serve this with a tossed green salad and French fries (chips), rice or pasta.
- All of the warnings and precautions about raw meat and raw eggs apply. I use a wee bit of common sense and have never had a problem but do use a wee bit of common sense.
The Cookelgourmand Apia, WS
The Rating1 people
Yeah. Atta way to do it: KISS is right. Worst tartare I ever had was over-seasoned and way too salty, with chunks of caper bits and (gag) sweet pickles in it. Yuk. Best kind? You just described it here. My 5!hollyeats in Shaftesbury loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!