Orzotto MilaneseFrom keni 1 year ago
- 1lb orzo shopping list
- 2 cups chicken stock shopping list
- 1/2 stick butter shopping list
- 2 medium-large shallots, or 1 small onion, diced shopping list
- 1/4 cup white wine shopping list
- 3/4 cup heavy cream shopping list
- about 1/2t saffron threads shopping list
- juice from 1/2 lemon shopping list
- 3/4-1 cup grated Parmesan or asiago cheese shopping list
- sea or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare orzo per package directions subbing the chicken stock for 2 cups of the water called for. Stop cooking JUST shy of al dente. Drain pasta, reserving about 1 cup of the liquid, then rinse briefly with hot water to make sure the pasta doesn't stick. (don't worry about rinsing the starch out and the sauce not sticking to it, like with other hot pasta dishes, that won't be a problem, here)
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan(I actually just use the same pan I just cooked the pasta in)
- Add shallot/onions and cook about 4 minutes.
- Add wine, saffron and cream and simmer , stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add orzo to pan and immediately stir to coat and combine. The pasta will likely absorb all, or most, of the liquid.
- Add lemon juice, salt and pepper and a lil pasta water, at a time, if needed.
- Add cheese and stir together.
- Put lid on pan and turn off heat. And let rest while finishing rest of meal. Stir once more just before serving.