Homemade RicottaFrom PongoUSA 1 year ago
How to make it
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, heavy cream, vinegar and salt. Place the pan over a medium heat and slowly bring the milk mixture to a simmer. Simmer the milk mixture for 1 to 2 minutes, you will see curds begin to form.
- Line a mesh strainer with several layers of damp cheesecloth. Gently pour the curds and whey through into the strainer and let drain for 15 minutes ( or longer for thicker ricotta. i let mine drain for about 30 min. ). Gather the cheesecloth together and gently squeeze some of the excess liquid from the ricotta. Transfer the ricotta to a serving dish and drizzle with big fat finishing oil.
- Preheat the grill or broiler.
- While the ricotta is draining, slice the bread into 1/2-inch thick slices. Toast the bread on the grill or in the broiler on both sides. Swipe the garlic 2 times on each piece of toast and drizzle each toast with big fat finishing oil.
- Serve the ricotta and grilled bread. The ricotta is best served a little warm.