Chicken Jalapeno And Cheddar CasseroleFrom NPMarie 1 year ago
- 8 chicken tenders (or 4 chicken breasts) shopping list
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into rings shopping list
- 2 jalapenos, 1 seeded, chopped shopping list
- I onion, sliced into half rings shopping list
- 2 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 1 cup grated medium cheddar cheese shopping list
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or whatever you like to use) shopping list
- 2 oz butter shopping list
- 3 tbsp flour shopping list
- 1 1/2 cup milk shopping list
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder shopping list
- Dash nutmeg shopping list
- salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place the chicken tenders in a 13x9 baking dish and season with salt & pepper.. Heat the oil in a skillet, add all vegetables except the garlic. Saute until slightly softened. Place on top of the chicken. Turn oven to 350F and bake for approximately 15 minutes (depends on the size of the chicken tenders and if using chicken breasts, more cooking time will be needed)
- While chicken is cooking, grate the cheddar cheese. Mix mustard powder with the flour in a small bowl. In skillet, melt butter, add the garlic & cook for about 30 seconds, then add the flour/mustard mixture & cook for 2 minutes while stirring. Add the milk, stir or whisk well, cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens slightly, Season with salt & pepper (to taste) & nutmeg. Add cheese, stir until melted, taste to check seasoning.
- Remove chicken from oven, turn oven up to 475F. Pour sauce over chicken, return to oven & bake for 10 minutes, or until chicken is done (again, cook longer for chicken breasts) & casserole has browned.
- Let cool for a few minutes, serve with egg noodles or rice.