White Bean Turkey ChiliFrom janend 8 years ago
- 2 T. olive oil shopping list
- 1 large onion, finely chopped shopping list
- 2 (4-oz.) cans mild green chilies, chopped and drained shopping list
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped shopping list
- 3 cans great northern beans, drained shopping list
- 3 cans white kidney beans, drained shopping list
- 3 cans low-sodium chicken broth shopping list
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin shopping list
- 1 tsp. dried oregano or italian seasoning shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne shopping list
- 1-2 cups cooked turkey or chicken (white meat) coursely chopped shopping list
- salt shopping list
How to make it
- Heat oil in a large kettle and add onion and garlic.
- Cook for a few minutes until tender.
- Stir in beans, broth, cumin, oregano, and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add chicken.
- Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Salt to taste and add more cayenne, if needed.
- Garnish with sour cream, green chili sauce, chopped green onions, shredded Monterey jack cheese, crushed tortilla chips, or any combination of these. We like fat-free sour cream.
- Note: The cans of beans can be substituted with 1 lb. dried Great Northern Beans. Soak beans in 8 cups of cold water overnight in a covered pan in the refrigerator. Drain and rinse.
- Note: As chili simmers, you can mash the beans slightly to thicken the chili. I don't do this because I prefer it chunkier.
People Who Like This Dish 18
The Cookjanend City, North Dakota
The Rating2 people
This was AWESOME. The only variations we did were we used 2 cans of beans, then added 3T of chili powder to give it a little more ooomphhh. It's great to have a non-tomato based chili to eat again. Thanks!wendio in Leander loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!