Strawberry-Rhubarb CrispFrom dond 8 years ago
- ***For the crisp topping: shopping list
- 1 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 6 Tbsp brown sugar shopping list
- freshly grated nutmeg shopping list
- salt shopping list
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts, finely chopped shopping list
- ***For the filling: shopping list
- 1 pound rhubarb, washed, trimmed, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces shopping list
- 1/2 cup sugar shopping list
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice shopping list
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter shopping list
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour shopping list
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled, and quartered shopping list
How to make it
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, a pinch of nutmeg, and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl.
- Work the butter in with your fingertips until the mixture is crumbly and resembles corn meal.. Don't overwork the butter, and make sure it doesn't melt.
- Add the nuts and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine the rhubarb, sugar, orange juice, and butter in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the rhubarb is tender, but still holds its shape. Do not overcook.
- Taste and adjust the sugar to your taste.
- Stir in the flour and strawberries.
- Spoon the filling into a 8-inch-square baking dish.
- Crumble the topping over the fruit.
- Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, or until the topping is dark golden brown.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla or strawberry ice cream.