Sweet And Sour Red CabbageFrom scrumptious 8 years ago
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup vegetable broth shopping list
- 1 onion, chopped shopping list
- 1 head red cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced shopping list
- 5 T. cider vinegar shopping list
- 1 large, tart apple, chopped (and, optionally, peeled - I like the peel) shopping list
- 1/2 cup currants or raisins shopping list
- 1/2 cup apple cider shopping list
- 5 cloves shopping list
- pinch fresh-ground nutmeg shopping list
- salt and pepper to taste shopping list
How to make it
- Heat about 1/3 cup broth in a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add onions and "saute" in the broth until soft (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add shredded cabbage and a little more broth and cook, tossing and stirring, about 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and remaining broth. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, about 20 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (apple, currants/raisins, cider, cloves, nutmeg, salt, pepper). Cover and simmer for 1 1/4 hours.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary, adding more vinegar or pepper.
- Serve as a side dish, or as a simple lunch over cottage cheese.
The Cookscrumptious San Francisco
The Rating1 people
This is so close to the recipe I've used before... I always wind up using Savoy cabbage cause it's my favourite!jo_jo_ba in Oshawa loved it