Classic Shortbread CookiesFrom sunny 9 years ago
How to make it
- MIX - In a med bowl, beat butter till fluffy and slowly add sugar until blended. In another bowl, blend salt and flour - blend this into the butter mixture a cup at a time till smooth. If you're going to flavor your shortbread, do it now. Continue to mix for another 2-3 min till dough is smooth and creamy.
- MARK - On a large sheet of parchment draw out a 10 x 15 rectangle using pencil and ruler. Cut this out and place the parchment paper on a jelly roll pan. Roll or pat the dough out onto the cooking sheet into an even layer. Use a ruler and knife to mark off, and score, 1x 2 1/2 inch rectangles. Pierce each piece in 3 places, cover cookies tightly with plastic and place in fridge for at least 2 hours (can be left up to 4 days)
- BAKE - Heat over to 325. Line baking sheets with parchment and place cookies 1 inch apart. Place in oven and immediately reduce heat to 300. Bake for 20 min. Turn pans around and bake for another 14 to 16 min. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 min on pans and then remove to wire rack.
- STORE - Shortbread will keep up to one month between layers of wax paper in an airtight container at room temp.
- VARIATIONS -
- Nuts - 1 cup chopped, toasted Hazelnuts, Almonds or Walnuts
- Spicy - 2 tsp Cinnamon, 1 tsp Ginger, 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Ginger - 1 c finely chopped crystallized Ginger, 1 tsp ground ginger
- Orange - MY FAVORITE - 1 cup finely chopped candied orange peel, 2 tsp Orange extract