Charcoal Roasted Beets and Red OnionsFrom chefmeow 10 years ago
- 6 small fresh beets trimmed of all but 2 inches of greens and unpeeled shopping list
- 2 medium red onions unpeeled shopping list
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil shopping list
- 1/3 cup chicken broth shopping list
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar shopping list
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves divided shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Prepare a moderately hot charcoal fire in a grill unit that has a cover.
- Place beets and red onions in a cast iron skillet and drizzle with olive oil then place skillet on grill rack over fire and cover the grill unit and roast the vegetables for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove vegetables from skillet with tongs.
- Add broth, vinegar and 1 teaspoon thyme to the skillet then place over high heat and boil liquid scraping bottom of skillet for about 4 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Peel beets and onions when cool enough to handle.
- Slice beets into julienne strips and onions into thin rings then spoon liquid over onions and beets.
- Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme and stir well to combine.
- Heat briefly and serve.
The Cookchefmeow Garland, TX
The Rating5 people
I love this dish..psy333che in Long Branch loved it
I love beets and this sounds great. I love the method it is cooked and this will be on the menu next time we fire up the grill. Live with two beet haters, so it only means I'll have extra lunch fixin's for me. Yeah!notyourmomma in South St. Petersburg loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!