Potato pancakes ReibekuchenFrom unswissmiss 9 years ago
How to make it
- Coarsely grate potatoes and onions (a food processor saves a great deal of time).
- Salt the potato mixture to taste.
- Drain salted grated potatoes and onions in a sieve or colander, trying to reserve as much potato starch as possible. Discard liquid.
- Mix in eggs.
- Pour in just enough oil to cover the bottom of a nonstick frying pan.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the potato mixture into the pan and flatten.
- Cook until golden-brown, approximately 3 minutes, depending on the stove. Flip and cook until the other side is also browned and crisp.
- Drain on a paper towel covered plate and keep warm in the oven.
- Replenish oil and repeat until all the batter is gone. Avoid using any liquid that accumulates in the bottom of the bowl.
- Serve with applesauce, sour cream, or smoked salmon.