Shrimp GumboFrom oldgringo 9 years ago
- 4 quarts shrimp stock shopping list
- 1/2 lb kielba sasausage; sliced bite size shopping list
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic shopping list
- 3/4 cup oil shopping list
- 1 cup flour shopping list
- 2 cups onion; chopped shopping list
- 2 cups bell green pepper; chopped shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups celery; chopped shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups okra; sliced bite size shopping list
- 2 teaspoons salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon fine ground white pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground cayenne pepper shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground cumin shopping list
- 2 dried whole bay leaves shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed Greek oregano leaves shopping list
- 3 lbs shrimp; peeled, cleaned shopping list
How to make it
- Brown the sliced sausage slightly and add to stock; add garlic and bring to a boil.
- Prepare a roux on the dark side and add the onions, bell pepper, celery, okra and seasonings to it. Stir until the roux and vegetables form a mass. Drop by spoonfuls into the boiling stock. Mix and simmer for twenty minutes until the vegetables are cooked.
- Add the shrimp and simmer for about 7 minutes. The oil may be removed from the surface at this point.
- Filé is served aside and may be added to the gumbo in the bowls. Sever with white rice.