Old Fashioned Macaroni and CheeseFrom alison 8 years ago
- 1/2 pound macaroni, cooked shopping list
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese or similar to cheese sauce choice shopping list
- 1/2 cup freshly made buttered bread crumbs (optional) shopping list
- 2 tablespoons butter shopping list
- 2 tablespoons flour shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups milk, heated shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Freshly ground pepper shopping list
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese(s) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. and butter 1-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Warm milk, either in microwave for approximately 2-1/2 minutes or over low heat on stovetop until tiny bubbles begin to form on sides.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the paste cooks and bubbles a bit, but don't let it brown — about 2 minutes.
- Add the hot milk, continuing to stir as the sauce thickens. Bring it to a boil.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, stir in cheese, lower the heat, and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Remove from heat.
- Put the cooked macaroni into the casserole, pour the cheese sauce over it, and mix gently with a fork.
- Sprinkle the grated cheese evenly over the top and spread the crumbs over the cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until the top is golden and the sauce is bubbling, about 30 minutes.
The Cookalison Seattle
The Rating6 people
Just like my mom use to make.
Donna A.donnaja1231 in Moffat loved it
Perfect! This is the way my sister makes her mac n' cheese. You've got my 5!peepers in loved it
Awesome dish! Thanks a bunch :)suzalleogram in Easthampton loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!