Parsnip Bake Modern Molly ParkinFrom vertangie 7 years ago
How to make it
- Peel and top and tail the parsnips, discard peelings.
- With a peeler take fine strips of the parsnips until you reach the woody core.
- Melt the butter and oil in a saucepan and fry the fine strips on parsnip until it almost turns to mush.
- Slice the tomatoes into thin slices.
- Parsnip layer: Place a third of the parsnips in an ovenproof dish.
- Season: Sprinkle with a little salt, a little sugar, a good amount of pepper and a tiny bit of nutmeg.
- If the parsnips are sweet (generally in the depths of winter after the first frosts) omit the sugar
- Cream: pour over a third of the cream.
- Tomatoes: layer a third of the tomatoes on top.
- Make a second and third layer of parsnip, seasoning, cream and tomatoes ending with tomatoes on top.
- grate some gruyere (or preferred easily melting cheese) on top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 mins at a medium heat (if using a high bake for less and let rest for 10 mins it stays super hot for a while).
The Cookvertangie Penrith, GB
- Not added to any groups yet!