Zucchini CasseroleFrom lor 7 years ago
- 3-1/2 - 4 cups shredded zucchini or I have also taken 5-6 zucchini's and thinly sliced them on a mandolin shopping list
- 1/2 carrot, shredded (optional) shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- 3/4 -1 cup egg substitute shopping list
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs shopping list
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour shopping list
- 2 tsp. italian seasoning shopping list
- a squirt of Italian salad dressing (I prefer Kraft) shopping list
- 1/2 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms shopping list
- 1 onion, either sliced or chopped (I cut the onion in half and then slice it lengthwise not across) shopping list
- 2 tsp. Olive or canola oil shopping list
- 1-15 oz. can pizza sauce, divided shopping list
- 3/4 cup or 1 whole green or yellow pepper either sliced or chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup sliced ripe olives, drained shopping list
- Note: I like to add 2 garlic cloves, minced or finely chopped shopping list
- 1-1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided shopping list
- 3/4 cup romano cheese, grated shopping list
- Note: I mix the two cheeses together. shopping list
- (I'm sure low fat mozzarella cheese would work just fine) shopping list
How to make it
- Place shredded zucchini in a fine sieve or colander over a plate. Sprinkle with a little salt and toss. Allow this to stand for 15 minutes then rinse and drain well.
- In a bowl, combine the zucchini, shredded carrot(optional) egg substitute, bread crumbs, flour, Italian seasoning and Italian Salad Dressing.
- Spread in an 11" x 7" baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered at 350 F for 25 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in oil.
- Spread half of the pizza sauce over zucchini mixture then sprinkle
- with the mushrooms, onion, green pepper, olives and half of the cheeses.
- Top with remaining pizza sauce and blended cheeses.
- Bake 15 minutes longer or until hot and bubbly.
- Serves 4 - 6
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating9 people
Oh yum. We always grow plenty of zucchini's and now I have another wonderful recipe to use them in. I have pickled them, cookied and caked them and yes, I do have a casserole or 2 but this looks delish. Thanks so much.peepers in loved it
Yummmmy! Bookmarked and on the menu this week! My garden is exploding with zucchini - I got so excited when I saw this - thanks!lincolntoot in Freehold loved it
I have been looking for a zucchini recipe and this looks perfect. I am having many people over for Friday dinner and I will be making this recipe as a side dish. Thanks so much for submitting it to the group. One thing I don't understand and that is ...morechacha in New York loved it