Smoky Indian Eggplant Baingan BarthaFrom scrumptious 9 years ago
- 5 medium-sized Japanese eggplants (see note in "Alterations" section for using Italian eggplant) shopping list
- A few tablespoons olive oil and chopped garlic for eggplant marinade shopping list
- 4 T. peanut or canola oil shopping list
- 1 C. minced onion (yellow or red) shopping list
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced or grated shopping list
- 1 C. ripe tomato, peeled and chopped shopping list
- 1 1/2 t. ground cumin shopping list
- 1/8 t. cayenne shopping list
- 1/2 t. salt shopping list
How to make it
- Slice eggplants in half, lengthwise, and score shallow cuts across the face of each eggplant with a knife. Brush on marinade. Grill over medium heat until soft, turning once. Eggplant skins will get slightly burnt, and that's fine. (see note in "Alterations" section for an alternative to grilling the eggplant.)
- Scoop out the flesh of the eggplant, using a spoon to pull all the flesh away from the skin. If a few little bits of skin get into the pile, that is fine. Coarsely chop the eggplant.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add onions, and saute, stirring frequently, until onions begin to brown.
- Add ginger, stir for one minute, then add tomatoes.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 3-5 minutes, until slightly reduced.
- Stir in cumin, cayenne, and salt, then add eggplant.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
The Cookscrumptious San Francisco
The Rating1 people
This totally grabs my attention!! Indian flavored eggplant. yes yes yes!! thank you for posting. 5555555555555ttaaccoo in Buffalo loved it