Loma Linda Chocolate Prune CakeFrom kyburg 7 years ago
- 3/4 cup pitted prunes shopping list
- 1/4 cup boiling water shopping list
- 2/3 cup oil shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder shopping list
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
- 2 eggs shopping list
- 1 cup buttermilk shopping list
- 2 1/2 cups flour shopping list
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda shopping list
- 2 teaspoons baking powder shopping list
How to make it
- Soak prunes in boiling water 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Combine oil, sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, salt and vanilla in bowl. Add eggs
- and beat well 2 minutes. Combine soaked prunes and buttermilk in blender
- container or food processor bowl and chop finely. Add to oil mixture with
- flour, baking soda and baking powder. Beat well.
- Turn into well-greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan or 2 (8-inch)
- round layer-cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees 30 minutes, or until wood pick
- inserted near center comes out clean.
- The original recipe called out for a chocolate fudge icing made with:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/4 cup white corn syrup
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Bring water to boil. Remove from heat and beat in
- shortening and corn syrup. Add powdered sugar, cocoa, salt and vanilla.
- Beat to spreading consistency.
- I use a recipe for a Sour Cream Chocolate Frosting from a recipe I'll post separately.
People Who Like This Dish 16
The Cookkyburg Torrance, CA
The Rating4 people
Thank you! We lived in Glendale CA & used to make the drive down to LL just to get this cake (& visit friends/relatives). I made it last night & it's just as tasty & moist as ever. Maybe my memory is off, but did the icing also inc...moretriviagal in Herndon loved it
I was soooooooo pleased to
find this 'particular' chocolate-prune
Thank-you for submitting it...!
...mjcmcook....mjcmcook in Beach City loved it
Thanks so much. This was a favorite back in the "old days" when the New England San and Hospital existed. So glad to finally add to my collection. My parents used to live in LL but retired and moved away. Mother is gone now. Brother still in LL....moredottiet in Woodward loved it