Sweet and sour red cabbage spreadFrom putercop 7 years ago
- 1 Head red cabbage, coarsely shredded (you don;t need a very big head) shopping list
- 2 tart cooking apples like Granny smith, peeled chopped shopping list
- 2 3 tbsp. bacon drippings (save them puppies!) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon margarine shopping list
- ½ cup raisins shopping list
- 1 1 1/2 qts. Cran-Grape or Cran-apple juice shopping list
- ½ cup white vinegar shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- ½ teaspoon black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Heat the bacon grease and margarine in a heavy saucepan.
- Add the cabbage and coat it well.
- Add the apples, raisins and Cran-Grape juice and let it simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Add sugar and vinegar and pepper. (No salt is needed because bacon grease is salty.enough)
- Cook another 1/2 hour.
- More juice may be added for moisture.
- Serve cold on almost any pate or on meatloaf, ham sandwiches etc..
The Cookputercop Kerhonkson, NY
- Not added to any groups yet!