Mediterranean Beef Stew with RosemaryFrom notyourmomma 7 years ago
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms shopping list
- 1-2 T olive oil (depends on your pan) shopping list
- 1 onion, diced in 1/2 inch pieces shopping list
- 2 lbs. diced chuck steak, cut in 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 cups meat, for stovetop cooking I might use a more tender cut of beef) shopping list
- 1 cup beef stock (use 2 cups for stovetop cooking) shopping list
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice (I use Muir Glen organic tomatoes) shopping list
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce shopping list
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar shopping list
- 1 can black olives, imported, pitted cut in half shopping list
- 1/4 cup garlic cloves, cut in thin slices shopping list
- 2 T finely chopped fresh rosemary (or use 1 T dried cracked rosemary) shopping list
- 2 T finely chopped fresh parsley (or use 1 T dried parsley) shopping list
- 2 T capers (or more) shopping list
- fresh ground black pepper shopping list
How to make it
- Heat small amount of olive oil in heavy frying pan, add mushrooms and saute several minutes, until barely starting to brown.
- Add to Crockpot. Add diced onion to same pan, adding more oil if needed, and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add to Crockpot. Again, add more oil if needed, then add diced beef and brown well, about 10-15 minutes. Don't rush the browning step. Add beef to Crockpot.
- Add 1 cup beef stock to the pan and simmer a few minutes until slightly reduced, scraping off all browned bits.
- Add to Crockpot. Add diced tomatoes and juice, tomato sauce, sherry vinegar, olives, garlic, rosemary, parsley, capers, and black pepper. Stir gently to combine, then put lid on Crockpot and cook 6-8 hours on low. (You could cook this 3-4 hours on low, but when the recipe calls for large pieces of garlic like this I prefer the low setting.) Serve hot.
- Hint: If you do all the advance preparation the night before and put the combined ingredient in the refrigerator overnight, this could cook as long as 10 hours in the Crockpot while you're at work. Manufacturers don't recommend putting crockery liner with prepared ingredients in the refrigerator; store in another container so contents stay cold, then put in Crockpot in the morning.
- For stovetop cooking: Follow steps as outlined, putting ingredients in heavy dutch oven type pan. Add one cup additional beef stock. Simmer on very low heat about 2 hours. Serve hot.
- From Kalyn's Kitchen - Low Carb