Auntie Theas BaklavaFrom deedeec 7 years ago
- Pastry and Filling shopping list
- 1 pkg filo dough shopping list
- 4 cup walnuts shopping list
- 2 ½ sticks unsalted butter shopping list
- 1 tsp cinnamon shopping list
- ¼ cup sugar shopping list
- For the syrup shopping list
- 1 cup sugar shopping list
- 1 cup honey shopping list
- 1 1/3 cup water shopping list
- 1 cinnamon stick shopping list
- 3 whole cloves shopping list
How to make it
- Let filo dough sit out at room temperature for 2 hours, longer if frozen. For best results, thaw frozen dough overnight in the refrigerator. Keep it in the plastic so it doesn’t dry out. In other words, don’t open the package till you are ready to use it!
- Chop walnuts, about 1 cup at a time, in food processor to a small pebbly texture. Transfer to large mixing bowl. Stir in 1 tsp cinnamon and ¼ cup sugar. Set aside.
- Butter 13x9x2 glass baking dish.
- Melt 2 ½ sticks of butter.
- Open filo dough, gently lay it out flat, cover with wax paper and damp kitchen towel. Lift towel to remove sheets of filo to work with, and recover unused filo right away. Place 2 sheets of filo in the buttered baking dish. With a soft pastry brush, lightly butter the top sheet of filo. Get two more sheets of filo and repeat. Buttering every other sheet until you have 12 layers.
- Cover layer with about 1 cup of nut mixture, add 2 more sheets of filo, butter and repeat, until all the nuts are used.
- Top with 12 more sheets of filo, buttering every 2nd sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, score a diamond pattern in the pastry.
- Top with remaining butter. (Yes, poor/drizzle it ALL over the top) This is DESSERT not diet food.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F for 30 minutes. Turn oven down to 300°F and continue to bake till golden brown. 45-60 min.
- Begin making Syrup 30 minutes before baking is done. Put sugar, honey, water, cinnamon stick and cloves in a small saucepan. Bring to a “gentle” boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove and discard cinnamon stick and cloves.
- When pastry is done baking, poor syrup, slowly, over top. Cool for 4 hours. Serve. Serving suggestion: put individual pieces of baklava in paper cup cake cups.
The Cookdeedeec Seattle, WA
The Rating5 people
always wanted this recipe thanks a millionmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
This is a great help I have been looking for just such a recipe. perfect instructions!
Michaeltrigger in loved it