Arroz Con PolloFrom darbar 10 years ago
- chicken shopping list
- 3 Tbsp olive oil shopping list
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, about 2 1/2-3 pounds, cut into serving pieces, or 2 1/2 to 3 pounds of chicken thighs or breasts, bone-in, with skin on, rinsed and patted dry shopping list
- 1/2 cup of flour for dredging shopping list
- salt shopping list
- Freshly ground black pepper shopping list
- paprika shopping list
- rice shopping list
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (can use up to 1/4 cup) shopping list
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped shopping list
- 3 garlic cloves, minced shopping list
- 2 cups of medium or long-grain white rice shopping list
- 3 cups* chicken stock shopping list
- 1 heaping tablespoon tomato paste or 1 cup of diced fresh or cooked tomatoes, strained shopping list
- 1 or 2 roasted red peppers from a jar, sliced or diced shopping list
- Pinch of oregano shopping list
- 1 teaspoon salt shopping list
How to make it
- Check the instructions on the rice package for the proportions of liquid to rice. They can range from 1:1 to 2:1. If your rice calls for 2 cups of water for every cup of rice, then for this recipe, use 4 cups of stock for 2 cups of rice.
- Heat 3 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet (a skillet that has a cover) on medium high heat. Put the flour in a wide bowl, mix in a generous sprinkling of salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Dredge the chicken pieces lightly in the flour mixture and put in the pan to brown. (You can skip the flour dredging part if you want. It just makes a nicer coating for the chicken.) Cook a few minutes on each side, just enough so that the chicken has browned. Use a slotted spoon to remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the rice to the pan to brown. Add a little more olive oil if necessary. Stir first to coat the rice with the olive oil in the pan. Then don't stir too much or you will prevent it from browning. Let it brown and then stir a little to let more of it brown. Then add the onion and garlic. Cook the onion, garlic and rice mixture, stirring frequently, until the onions have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Place the chicken pieces, skin-side up, on top of the rice. In a separate bowl, mix together the stock, tomato, salt, and oregano. Pour the stock mixture over the rice and chicken. Arrange the roasted red peppers on the top of the dish. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Let cook for 20-25 minutes, depending on the type of rice and the instructions on the rice package, until the rice and chicken are done. Fluff the rice with a fork. If you want you can sprinkle with some peas. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
People Who Like This Dish 26
The Cookdarbar Brevard, NC
The Rating4 people
oh my goodness, this is some of my favorite food. I will give this a shot and see if mine turns out as beautiful as yours. thanks for the recipe.gwennie in Puyallup loved it
.frankieanne in Somewhere loved it
This sounds like a wonderful, easy dish. Definitely worth a try.snooklyukums in Cedar Rapids loved it