Lemony Basil SconesFrom lor 6 years ago
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour shopping list
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1-1/4 tsp. baking powder shopping list
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda shopping list
- 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
- Zest of 1 lemon shopping list
- 5 Tbsp. butter, cold, cut into small cubes shopping list
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice shopping list
- 4-5 medium sized basil leaves, sliced thinly (chiffonading works well — roll them length-wise tightly and then slice the roll. You should end up with little strips of basil) shopping list
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. milk (if you prefer, use cream or half and half here) shopping list
- raw sugar for sprinkling (or granulated sugar is fine) shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Blend together flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt, lemon zest and basil.
- Cut in butter until the texture resembles a coarse meal.
- Alternately, you can use a processor to do this. Just pulse until you get small pea-sized lumps.
- Mix together lemon juice with the milk and add to the scone mixture. Combine until dough just comes together.
- On a lightly floured surface, shape dough into a disc shape (with about an 8 inch diameter), leaving the center slightly higher.
- You can use a pizza cutter and just slice the disc into eight pieces like a pizza.
- Place scones on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush with remaining tablespoon of milk and sprinkle the tops lightly with some of your sugar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Let cool a few minutes before serving.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating6 people
Mmmmm, I love scones and I love your recipe. High 5 from me ;)peepers in loved it
Okay, I've been looking for scone recipes and I've found 2 awesome ones from you Lor. Thanks for posting them to the group.shazam in New York loved it
I made these and they are lovely. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe Lor.chacha in New York loved it