Upside Down Carmel Apple French ToastFrom grizzlybear 6 years ago
- Prepare the night before or at least 3 hours in advance. shopping list
- 1/2 cup butter shopping list
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar shopping list
- 1 Tablespoon water shopping list
- Combine butter, brown sugar and water in a saucepan. Heat on medium until bubbling, stirring frequently. Place in a 9" x 13" pan and allow to cool for 20 to 30 minutes. shopping list
- 3 granny smith apples shopping list
- cinnamon, to taste (we like lots!) shopping list
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional shopping list
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced 1 ½ inch thick (about 8 slices) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups milk shopping list
- 6 eggs shopping list
- 1 teaspoon vanilla shopping list
How to make it
- Peel, core and slice apples. Place the slices in rows, close together (overlapping), on top of the caramel sauce in the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and raisins. Place the slices of bread on top of the apples. Mix together the milk, eggs, and vanilla. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate over night. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 60 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on the top.
- Serve upside-down. Spoon any extra sauce in the pan over the French toast. Serve with Crème Topping and garnish with nuts, if desired. Serves 6.
- Crème Topping
- 1/2 cup whipping cream (or Cool Whip)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract OR orange extract
- Whip on high until thickened. Place 2 tablespoons of topping on top of each serving of French Toast.
- Absolutely delicious and so easy to make!
The Cookgrizzlybear CA
The Rating5 people
Oh boy does this sound yummy! My daughter just got done making some very basic, but good, French Toast. I will have to tell her about this one.trackwidow in Fort Atkinson loved it
This sounds really good. Do you have to eat it upside down?organicmama in loved it
Sounds fabulous!! Saving this one.sparow64 in Sweetwater loved it
- Not added to any groups yet!