Root Vegetables CasseroleFrom inmaculada 7 years ago
- 1 large rutabaga or a yellow turnip, about 2-1/4 pounds, trimmed, peeled, cut in chunks shopping list
- 2 medium purple-topped turnips, trimmed, peeled, cut in chunks shopping list
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut in chunks shopping list
- 3 medium carrots, peeled, cut in chunks shopping list
- Sauce: (or use ready made béchamel) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter shopping list
- 2 big leeks (only the white part) shopping list
- 1 tablespoon flour shopping list
- 1/3 cup milk shopping list
- 1/3 cup apple cider shopping list
- 1/4 pound good melting cheese ,Cheddar or gruyere, cut in chunks shopping list
- Grated fresh Parmesan shopping list
How to make it
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the rutabaga chunks as they're prepped, even if water's not yet boiling. Once it comes to a boil, cook for about 10 minutes before adding the turnips, sweet potato and carrots. Drain.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt the butter on medium, add the leeks and cook, stirring often, till soft. Set aside.
- If making the sauce:
- In the skillet or Dutch oven used for the leeks, melt the butter on medium. Stir in the flour, removing all the lumps. A spoonful at a time at first, slowly stir in the milk, stirring all the time to remove all the lumps, not adding more til the lumps are stirred out. (Press with the back of a spoon if needed.) Add the apple cider. Stirring often, cook til the sauce thickens. Turn the heat off and stir in the cheese, the sauteed leeks and the cooked root vegetables.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly throughout. Top with Parmesan and bake another 15 minutes.
People Who Like This Dish 15
The Cookinmaculada Palma De Mallorca, ES
The Rating4 people
Wonderful, my friend!mystic_river1 in Bradenton loved it
very nice thank youminitindel in THE HEART OF THE WINE COUNTRY loved it