Scalloped Potatoes with Swiss CheeseFrom nlo209 8 years ago
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and bruised with the flat of a knife shopping list
- 2 1/2 pounds firm boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8 inch slices ( about 8 cups) shopping list
- 1 1/2 cups grated, imported swiss cheese shopping list
- 6 tbsp. butter, cut in 1/4 inch bits shopping list
- 1 tsp. salt shopping list
- 1/8 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper shopping list
- 1 1/4 cups milk shopping list
How to make it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rub the bottom and sides of a flameproof baking dish (10 to 12 inches across and
- 2 inches deep) with the bruised garlic, and grease it lightly with butter.
- Dry the potato slices with a paper towel, ten spread half of the slices in the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle them with half of the cheese, butter bits, salt and pepper.
- Spread the rest of the potato slices in the dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese, butter and salt and pepper on top.
- Pour the milk into the side of the dish.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and then bake in the upper third of the oven for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- At this point remove any residual liquid with a bulb baster and bake for another 5 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender, the milk absorbed, and the top nicely browned. Serve at once.