White Chocolate Mousse with StrawberriesFrom mystic_river1 8 years ago
- 2 cups fresh strawberries*, stems removed shopping list
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar shopping list
- 1 tbsp. kirsch (clear cherry brandy) or framboise (raspberry liqueur) shopping list
- 6 oz. white chocolate, finely chopped shopping list
- 1/4 cup milk, warmed shopping list
- 1 cup heavy cream shopping list
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature shopping list
- Pinch of cream of tartar shopping list
- 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract shopping list
How to make it
- In a blender or in a food processor fitted with the metal blade, combine 1 1/2 cups of the strawberries with the sugar.
- Puree until smooth.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Add the kirsch and stir to mix.
- Cut the remaining 1/2 cup strawberries lengthwise into thin slices and stir into the puree.
- Set aside.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water; do not allow the bowl to touch the water.
- Heat the chocolate, stirring occasionally, until it is melted and smooth and registers 140°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Gradually add the warm milk to the chocolate, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Remove the bowl from the pan of water and let the mixture cool until it is almost at room temperature.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the cream just until soft peaks form. In another bowl, using clean beaters, beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold half of the whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it.
- Fold the remaining whites, whipped cream and vanilla into the chocolate mixture just until combined and no white drifts remain. Do not overmix. (At this point, you may cover and refrigerate the mousse for up to 1 day).
- To serve, spoon about half of the mousse into 6 parfait glasses, half filling each glass.
- Top with the strawberry sauce, again using about half and dividing it equally. Repeat with the remaining mousse and strawberry sauce.