Irish Potato Candy From My MotherFrom lor 9 years ago
- 3/4 - 1 cup mashed potatoes, shopping list
- Note: Make certain that you do not use butter, milk or salt when mashing the potatoes. I have on occasion added half a package of cream cheese to the mashed potatoes and it gives the candy a lovely texture and taste. shopping list
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (almond extract is fairly powerful so you may want to use less, it's up to you.) shopping list
- 1-1/2 pounds confectioner's sugar shopping list
- A dash of red or green food colouring just to give a hint of festive colour shopping list
How to make it
- Boil potatoes until fork tender.
- Whip the potatoes really well so that there are NO lumps.
- Add almond extract to the potatoes.
- Next, add the sugar.
- Mix enough sugar with the potatoes and almond extract until the mixture becomes thick enough to shape.
- Chill the mixture for a couple of hours or overnight. This makes it easier to shape into balls.
- Take enough to form a small ball, the size of a walnut.
- You can roll them in "finely" chopped pecans, walnluts, cocoa powder, cinnamon, coconut or festive coloured sprinkles.
- I prefer them plain but I do like a variety on my Christmas sweet plate.
- Store in an air tight container preferably in the fridge or cold cellar.
The Cooklor Toronto, Canada
The Rating8 people
great recipe thanks bunchesmomo_55grandma in Mountianview loved it
Looks great!!!! I'll have to try them~ I don't know if I can wait til' Christmas, though!!!!
-Vegangal123vegangal123 in London loved it
I know and love this candy because my Mum and Aunties always made it when I was growing up in Ireland. High 5mishi in loved it