Indian Rice Pudding KheerFrom unswissmiss 8 years ago
- 5 C whole milk (approximate) shopping list
- 1/4 C sugar (more to taste, if desired - I prefer dishes to be less sweet) shopping list
- 3 green cardamom pods, seeds extracted and ground, or 1/2 tsp ground cardamom (optional) shopping list
- 1 C basmati rice shopping list
- 2 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter) or unsalted butter shopping list
- crushed almonds (optional) shopping list
How to make it
- In a saucepan, warm milk. Dissolve sugar in it, and remove from heat. Stir in ground cardamom.
- Saute the rice in butter until it turns translucent, approximately 2 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. By 1/2 cups, add the milk, stirring until it is absorbed. As the rice cooks, it will take longer and longer for the milk to be absorbed.
- If the rice grains are not tender by the time the milk is gone, add more milk and continue process under they are. (It's OK to add it straight from the carton.)
- Adjust sweetening to taste.
- Serve warm or cold, garnished with a spoonful of crushed almonds, if desired.